Stupid Computers – Part One


For the past several years, my family has used Rhapsody’s music service. We love it.

For the past six months, my version has urged me to update my Rhapsody software. I HATE doing this. If you are happy with the current product, why update?

Finally, this past month, the software announced that, like it or not, it was going to update my software.

Swell!

So, I waited while Rhapsody went through its activities. After about three minutes, it announced it was getting ready to start. Then, it crashed. Attempts to restart the software failed. I even uninstalled it and tried to download the new install version. It only crashed, again.

How grand! I’m paying for a service that now refuses to function.

Attempts to get tech support were incredible wastes of time. After two hours, I finally found an obscure website article that discussed the problem and advised renaming a hidden folder on my hard drive.

Success!

Here is my gripe. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about PC’s and their various glitches and repairs. I am fairly certain I could tear apart and reassemble my PC in the dark with my eyes closed. Most of my friends bring their PC’s to me for repair or trouble-shooting.

Everyone should be computerized, we are told. The government wants my medical office to abandon all paper charts, schedules, pencils, and pens to use sleek new medical computers, electronic medical records, and fancy software.

Yet, here is software which tries to be an elaborate equivalent of my old cassette stereo and it is still so primitive and inept that it takes a relative computer geek two hours to solve a stupid software mistake!

Do you think 80% of your friends would even know where to start when trying to find a “hidden system folder” with a certain name and then deleting the entire folder or renaming it?

Stay tuned for more reasons why computers are NOT the answer to everything and why electronic medical records are still not ready for prime time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally! A Tablet PC for Toon Boom

Hospital-Admin-Speak: A new language

Coronavirus Cartoons